Establishment of 'New Engineering College, Sangli' (renamed as "Walchand College of Engineering" in 1955) which offered its first academic program, an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering - B.E.(Civil) under Bombay University.
Addition of two B.E. courses viz., Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
Post Graduate programs were introduced for all three engineering disciplines
UG and PG degrees courses were introduced for Computer Science and Electronics Engineering.
UG degree course in Information Technology was introduced.
The college was selected under the World Bank funded Government of India scheme "Technical Education Quality Improvement Program"(TEQIP)
The college awarded an autonomous engineering education institute.
The college was selected under Phase II of TEQIP for development of PG education. As reported in the survey conducted by Spectrum India, Walchand College ranked No. 2 all-India out of about 127 institutes that participated in TEQIP.